- 1 How do I tax my car for the first time?
- 2 Can you drive your car straight away after taxing online?
- 3 Can I tax my car while waiting for log book?
- 4 Is it easy to tax your car online?
- 5 What documents do I need to tax a vehicle?
- 6 Can you pay road tax monthly?
- 7 Do you get 14 days grace for road tax?
- 8 Will my car tax start straight away?
- 9 Can I drive my car if I’ve just taxed it?
- 10 How can I tax my car without a vc5?
- 11 What happens if you drive without tax?
- 12 Can I tax my car without an MOT?
- 13 How long does it take for a vehicle to be taxed?
- 14 How early can you tax your car?
- 15 What is the road tax for?
How do I tax my car for the first time?
Taxing a new vehicle. You can tax a new vehicle online or at your local Motor Taxation Office. To apply online see the section on ‘Taxing your vehicle online’ below. If you are applying to your local Motor Taxation Office you need a ‘First Motor Tax Application’ Form RF100.
Can you drive your car straight away after taxing online?
It is no longer possible to transfer road tax from one car to another. Instead, the current owner of the vehicle can apply for a refund (see above) and the new owner has to re-tax the car. The new owner will have to tax the vehicle straight away before driving it.
Can I tax my car while waiting for log book?
Can I still tax it at the Post Office? Yes – though you’ll still need your DVLA reminder (V11) or your Registration Certificate (V5C) plus a valid MOT, a (V62) is also available at any Post Office that deals with vehicle tax.
Is it easy to tax your car online?
Since paper tax discs were abolished, DVLA have made it easy to tax your car online.
What documents do I need to tax a vehicle?
What do I need to tax my car?
- A recent reminder (V11) or ‘last chance’ warning letter from the DVLA.
- Your vehicle log book (V5C), which has to be in your name.
- The green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip (V5C/2) from the V5C log book if you’ve just bought the car.
Can you pay road tax monthly?
Can I pay for car tax monthly? You can pay for your car tax monthly by Direct Debit. You can buy six months car tax or pay for the full year in advance. You will pay 5% more over the year if you buy six months or pay monthly by Direct Debit.
Do you get 14 days grace for road tax?
Are There Any Grace Periods for Paying Car Tax? There are no longer any grace periods for car tax. When paper discs were still in existence, there used to be a five-day grace period to allow the new tax disc to arrive in the post. However, now that the process has moved online, the grace period has been axed.
Will my car tax start straight away?
However, new tax is now backdated (no space) to the beginning of the month and refunds are from the start of the next. This means if you sell and then buy a car early in the month, you will be paying tax twice in that period. The buyer then pays for the car and gets it taxed at the start of the new month.
Can I drive my car if I’ve just taxed it?
When you buy a car Even if the owner says the car is taxed, that tax isn’t valid once you’ve taken ownership of the vehicle. If you want to drive a car you now own legally on public roads, it must be taxed in your name.
How can I tax my car without a vc5?
You can tax your vehicle without a V11 reminder letter using a:
- V5C registration certificate (logbook) in your name if you’re the current keeper.
- V62 application for a registration certificate if you’re the current keeper.
- green ‘new keeper’ slip if you’ve just bought the car (and do not have a V5C in your name yet)
What happens if you drive without tax?
Driving without tax FAQs. No, the punishment for driving without road tax does not include penalty points on your licence. If you’re caught driving without valid VED, an automated letter and a fine will be sent to the address of the registered keeper of the vehicle, which is likely to be you.
Can I tax my car without an MOT?
If your car has no valid MOT and no tax, you can drive it to a test centre. That’s because, without an MOT, you will be unable to renew your road tax. By law, your vehicle needs to have passed its MOT test to be taxed. Once it passes, however, you must immediately organise your car tax so you are driving legally.
How long does it take for a vehicle to be taxed?
How long does it take to register I’ve paid car tax? It takes up to five working days for renewed car tax to show online – the time DVLA says its system takes to update.
How early can you tax your car?
You can tax your vehicle up to 2 months before it expires if you’re going to be away from home (eg on holiday) when your current tax runs out.
What is the road tax for?
Road tax, otherwise known as road fund license, vehicle excise duty (VED), vehicle tax, car tax and the former tax disc is annual government taxation payable by anyone with a roadworthy vehicle. It is enforced by the DVLA. The amount which you pay depends on the vehicle and much co2 it emits.