- 1 How can I avoid paying sales tax on a car?
- 2 Who is exempt from sales tax in Massachusetts?
- 3 How do I apply for sales tax exemption in Massachusetts?
- 4 What do you need to register a commercial vehicle in Massachusetts?
- 5 What dealer fees are negotiable?
- 6 Can I buy a car in Oregon to avoid sales tax?
- 7 What is the maximum sales tax that can be paid on a vehicle in Massachusetts?
- 8 Who pays sales tax buyer or seller?
- 9 Are groceries taxed in Massachusetts?
- 10 Do I need a sales tax permit in Massachusetts?
- 11 What is the Massachusetts small business exemption?
- 12 How much is sales tax in MA?
- 13 How much does it cost to register a commercial vehicle in MA?
- 14 Can I drive a car without plates if I just bought it in Massachusetts?
How can I avoid paying sales tax on a car?
You can avoid paying sales tax on a used car by meeting the exemption circumstances, which include: You will register the vehicle in a state with no sales tax because you live or have a business there. You plan to move to a state without sales tax within 90 days of the vehicle purchase.
Who is exempt from sales tax in Massachusetts?
Goods that are subject to sales tax in Massachusetts include physical property, like furniture, home appliances, and motor vehicles. Prescription medicine, groceries, gasoline, and clothing are all tax-exempt.
How do I apply for sales tax exemption in Massachusetts?
To claim the exemption, the buyer or their agent must provide the vendor with:
- A signed copy of Sales Tax Exempt Purchaser Certificate (Form ST-5) or Contractor’s Sales Tax Exempt Purchase Certificate (Form ST-5C), and.
- A copy of the organization’s Certificate of Exemption (Form ST-2) issued by DOR.
What do you need to register a commercial vehicle in Massachusetts?
What you need
- A completed Registration and Title Application.
- The previous owner’s certificate of title or the previous owner’s registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt because of its age.
- Applicable fee.
What dealer fees are negotiable?
There are some fees that dealerships charge that are negotiable. Items like warranties, underbody coatings, interior coatings, dealer prep, and advertising charges are all negotiable.
Can I buy a car in Oregon to avoid sales tax?
Sales taxes on cars are often hefty, so you may try to avoid paying them. The easiest and most straightforward way to do so is to buy a car in a state with no sales taxes and register the vehicle there. Only five states do not have statewide sales taxes: Montana, Alaska, Delaware, Oregon, and New Hampshire.
What is the maximum sales tax that can be paid on a vehicle in Massachusetts?
If the sale is made by a motor vehicle dealer or lessor who is registered, the sales tax rate is 6.25%. The use tax applies to all other types of transfers of title or possession where the vehicle transferred is stored, used, or consumed in Massachusetts.
Who pays sales tax buyer or seller?
Sellers are responsible for collecting and paying the tax, and purchasers are responsible for paying the tax that the sellers must collect and pay. In essence, this type of sales tax is a hybrid of the other two types.
Are groceries taxed in Massachusetts?
Massachusetts imposes a sales tax on meals sold by or bought from restaurants or any restaurant part of a store. Generally, food products people commonly think of as groceries are exempt from the sales tax, except if they’re sold as a meal from a restaurant part of a store.
Do I need a sales tax permit in Massachusetts?
In Massachusetts, most businesses are required to have a sales tax permit. This means that, if you are considering opening a new business or are beginning to make sales in Massachusetts for the first time, you will need to determine your business’ permit requirements.
What is the Massachusetts small business exemption?
Administered by the Massachusetts DOR, qualifying small businesses may be exempt from paying taxes on energy. Small businesses apply online for an exemption certificate rather than submitting a Form ST-13 to their energy provider.
How much is sales tax in MA?
The Massachusetts sales tax is 6.25% of the sales price or rental charge on tangible personal property, including certain telecommunication services sold or rented in Massachusetts. Sales tax is generally collected by the seller.
How much does it cost to register a commercial vehicle in MA?
According to Massachusetts 2019 Schedule of Fees, the cost to register MA commercial plates is $40 per 1,000 lbs (up to 5,000 lbs), and $20 per 1,000 lbs (over 5,000 lbs). This means a heavy-duty commercial pickup truck weighing 10,000 lbs (and capable of hauling 2,000 pounds of cargo*) will cost $240 to register.
Can I drive a car without plates if I just bought it in Massachusetts?
Massachusetts. Yes, you can drive a new car home without plates in Massachusetts for 10 days after vehicle registration. You can drive without plates for 10 days if the registration is transferred.